Today is the 2nd day of the new year. Yesterday I wrote down my resolutions and one of them was to find a cure for this "disease" that I have. I don't want a repeat of 2013. It was a rough fibro year. I want a fresh, new 2014. I want to finally figure out what makes my body tick and avoid the things that make me hurt and deny me of the much needed energy that I want to have. This journey has been going on for so long, but this year I feel there is hope. I guess I kind of start out every year with hope, but this year it feels more renewed than usual.
I'm reading a book right now. It is definitely in the top of Fibromyalgia books that I have read. It is called "Taming the Beast: A Guide to Conquering Fibromyalgia". (http://www.amazon.com/Taming-Beast-Guide-Conquering-Fibromyalgia/dp/1491089903) With each chapter I read, I keep saying, "Yes! That is me!" I am excited to see what comes of this book and that is probably where most of this hope stirs from. Dr. Kantinka is from Fayetteville, AR. I have read many times that it is believed that Fibro symptoms have a genetic link and I have also read that most come from a cervical injury. In this book it is theorized that it is possibly both.
It is believed that you have the genetic predisposition to get it but it isn't "activated" until something sets it off. I have a grandmother that had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and I have it, yet, as far as I know, neither my mother or sister have any signs of Fibromyalgia. I also know that neither my sister or mother have had any kind of neck injury (to my knowledge) as to where I have. Most of my symptoms started in high school and I can attribute most of it back to a very minor fender bender where I was rear ended. I was in a harsher wreck when I lived in IN and my upper back fell victim. So knowing where this all started from I believe is HUGE! If someone can tell me why I have it, I am starting to trust that they might have an answer of how to help.
Part of my goals for this year is to eat clean and keep better track of food and how it makes me feel. I have read that Fibromyalgia patients are more prone to food allergies and sensitivities. I truly believe that I can live medicine free and change the course of this disease if I just pay attention to my body. I look forward to seeing how this year will play out. I will keep you updated. Until then, I recommend reading Taming the Beast. It has been a good read so far and I'm just on Chapter 7. I hope that your year is good as well! God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment