Friday, January 10, 2014

The trouble with back pain is...

Yesterday was rough! It was cold. It was rainy. Anyone with fibromyaglia knows that is the making of a miserable, painful day. If you have followed this blog for any length of time, you should know that I hate taking medicine for this disease. However, yesterday, I did not function until I took something. I laid in bed until 11 and only got up due to my husband's request. Yesterday I actually got mad at my body. I do this on occasion, yet yesterday I can honestly say I was beyond angry. Something had to change.

I finished the book that I talked about in my last post (Taming the Beast: A Guide to Conquering Fibromyalgia by Dr. Kantinka Van Der Merwe). She brought up some pretty awesome things that I have never read in all my research. While she mentioned the over-active immune system and different vitamins one can take to feel better, she talked about the spine quite a bit. Her theory (since no studies have been done, however she has worked with Fibromyalgia patients for several years) is that some people, especially women, are created with very narrow spinal canals. Things that a radiologist will deem as "normal degeneration" might not be normal. She states that she uses a technique done by a chiropractor who did wonderful work in those with severe chronic pain. Unfortunately, not many use this chiropractor's techniques because he lost his license because he made claims that he "cured" people. Dr. Kantinka states that in spite of his bad rap, his technique is sound and while it doesn't "cure" people, it does help a lot of people. Dr. Kantinka's office is in Fayetteville, AR. I know that 2 1/2 hours is worth a drive if it will "conquer" my fibro flares, however, long drives make me flare and I'm just not up for it.

In an effort to still help myself, I have set up an appointment with MY chiropractor. I am hoping that she and I can develop a treatment plan together that will help based off of Dr. Kantinka's book but it will be something local. Its a long shot and I'm hoping that it will give me SOME relief. I have to do something. I have decided I can no longer keep living in a state of wondering what I will be like when I get up in the morning. Its not fair to my husband or my boys and most of all, myself. Change will happen this year! It will and I will be sure to share when it does.

Keep fighting fibromites and do not give up on finding YOUR cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment