Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The trouble with a chiropractor...

I had my appointment with my chiropractor yesterday. Her name is Dr. Kala Hatch from Hatch Chiropractic Health and Wellness Center. I adore her. My appointment was a true work-over and I needed it since my back was in excruciating pain (level 10 for sure). I started with a massage with the massage therapist at her office, Nan Quinney. After an hour of knots and muscles being relaxed, I was put through more muscle therapy with a tens unit, heat, and some ultrasound to break down the muscle fibers in the knots. Then I got to talk with Kala.

Kala Hatch is one of these people that you feel instantly comfortable talking to. She listens and has a wealth of knowledge. She also loves learning. As we spoke about the book that I had read (see prior blog posts), she began take down notes and researched with me about Dr. Kantika Van Der Merwe. I told Kala that I had concerns about the technique this other doctor used since she had mentioned in the book that the guy that made it famous later had his chiropractor license revoked. She was quite understanding of that and went and looked up the technique that Dr. Kantinka uses. She joyfully remarked, "its the Bess (sp?) technique. I started studying that a while back but when I started nurse practitioner school I put it on hold. I have all the information at home. Let me research it again and see what we can do." We went on to discuss the different vitamin supplements that Dr. Kantinka suggests in her book. There are several. It was so cool to see Kala light up when I would mention a certain vitamin. 

So we have a plan. The first thing that she asked me to do was to try going gluten free for 2 weeks. She said, "I want you to try it for 2 weeks and then have a gluten-fest on day 15 and if you feel like crap after eating it then you know that you are gluten sensitive." I really liked the fact that she said gluten sensitive. Many people have a full blown allergy to gluten known as "Celiac's disease". I know that I do not have that. However I could see having a gluten sensitivity.  In my other research, I have found that many fibro patients have delayed food allergies. If you eat the same foods over and over and over, your body starts to have minor allergic reactions to it. I truly feel like 2 weeks is just a blink in this lifetime and  so I don't mind to use this as a testing time. Kala also asked me add some vitamin supplements to my regimen. The first one was a B12 complex. I have been told to take this one in the past and I blew it off. I actually had that in my medicine cabinet at home so no big deal. We had talked about Cur cumin. Kala said that is a form of tumeric, which is a natural anti-inflammatory. There are several other benefits to taking it like immunity support and IBS relief. I also talked to her about a drink that I had drank when I was first diagnosed and she told me to start that as well. It is from the company, Fatigued to Fantastic Energy Revitalization System. This drink was designed by a doctor who specialized in treating Fibromyalgia. It has several vitamins that are known to aid naturally in treating the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. We talked about possible future treatment, but she wanted to do another visit. I get Wellness Labs every year at my place of employment and she wanted to see them. She had some very interesting things to say about Thyroid testing, which went along with a lot of my research, which I was excited about. So I go in today to have her look at those and to let me see a specific type of Iron that she uses that she says does not have all the ugly, typical side effects of Iron. So I go back in today to discuss those things. 

I want to add that if you need help with treating your Fibromyalgia naturally and live in the Mountain Home, AR area, Nature's Way on the square is amazing when it comes to supplements. I spoke with Jack when I arrived and he was great. I told him about my meeting with Kala and he said she was spot on with everything that she had told me. He took me right to the drink mix that I had taken before. I told him about the B12 complex that I had and he said it was a great one. He then said that I should add a D-Ribose powder to my regimen as well. Jack said that many of the people with Fibromyalgia had had great results with it. I had asked Kala about it and she said that she didn't know much about it. I decided Jack had agreed with everything that Kala had suggested so that it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get it. I had bought liquid Tumeric at another health food store in town and I almost wish that I would have waited because he had great things to say about the Cur Cumin that they had at the store there. Next time for sure I will get it at Natures Way.

Well that is the beginning of my journey. I did stay gluten free all day yesterday and went to bed feeling horrible. I know that this is supposedly normal but I still don't enjoy it. I am hoping that if I can get past this that it will be well worth it. I will keep you updated on my treatment and hopefully some of you can find your own path to recovery by using some of it. That was the goal of writing this blog and so I hope that it will continue to serve that purpose. Hang in there fibro friends. Life is too short to not enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment