Monday, June 2, 2014

The trouble with "House" is...

I, like most Americans without cable, love Netflix. I have several shows that I have watched the entire season of. Shows like "Lie to Me", "Numb3rs", and the occasional "What Not To Wear" are the main ones that I watch. My awesome kids have no idea what a commercial is because, due to the lack of cable, just watch the shows that we approve, all commercial free. So my queue is mainly filled will kids shows and the above mentioned shows.

I was tiring of watching the usual shows since I have watched seasons over and over again. I decided that I needed something new. For some reason I was drawn to the show "House". If you have never seen the show, it is about a doctor who is a medical genius who is given those cases that have become medical mysteries to his colleagues. He is an awkward fellow. He is blunt, lives on pain killers, and is known for breaking the medical rules and doing what will save someone's life vs. following protocol. It is not uncommon for him to send someone on his team to break into someone's home or for him to walk into an area that is either sterile or quarantined in order to make a point. I heard a friend once say that the show is the equivalent of a modern day Sherlock Holmes and it really is. I like this show.

Last week, like most, I was in excruciating pain, while not unusual, but worse than normal. I was getting over my shingles outbreak (see last post) and just didn't feel that great. As usual, I had a long to-do list and was in too much pain to get it done. So I broke down and took a pain pill. Give or take an hour or so, I was standing upright and was no longer limping or grunting as I took on the tasks at hand. I felt great. I felt amazing. I felt...NORMAL! I thought back to my new favorite TV show and started to understand the character House a bit more. Ya see, House walks with a limp in the show and is usually seen with a cane. He had a medical mystery happen as well; a stroke, yet it was in his leg. It killed the muscle tissue and the treatment that he was given while he was knocked out causes him to live in constant pain. His remedy is to eat Vicoden (a very strong pain killer) like candy. You watch him throughout the show pop open his container of pills that he carries with him and throw a couple back like they are tic tacs. As I was feeling the results of my lower dosed pain pill I had what some would call an epiphany.

The following conversation then took place within myself (as most conversations do when you are crazy):
Me: Why don't you take pain pills more often?
Me: Because I don't like to rely on pain pills. If my body is in pain then I should listen to it and rest.
Me: But you never have time to rest and then feel like a loser if you do. Take the pain pill.
Me: I don't want to have to rely on a pain pill to get out of bed in the morning.
Me: But think of all that you are missing out on when you don't. You'll be happier and feel better if you take the pill.
Me: I do want to be happy and I do have a lot to do, but I don't want to become addicted to them.
Me: Think of House. Think of the brilliant mind he has. What if you are missing out on your own brilliance because you are always in pain and by not taking a pill?
Me: You do make a valid point, self. I do like being brilliant.
Me: TAKE THE PILL! TAKE THE PILL! TAKE THE PILL!
Me: (made decision to try pain pills for a week and see if it helps)
Me: (cheering and high fives all around)

Okay, that might have been slightly exaggerated a bit, but it wasn't by much. I did spend all week taking pills and got a TON accomplished. I don't like to have to do that, but, unfortunately, this world does not stop for those of us that live with chronic pain. And while I still stand by the fact that I do not like to take pain pills, sometimes it is needed. Sometimes my chaotic life is busier than normal and I do have to break down my pride and submit to the fact that I do not have time to "heal naturally". I don't plan on getting to the addicted state as House does on the television show. However, I do plan to take my recommended dose and make it through this tough time and try to keep a smile on my face.

It's kind of my way of sucking it up for now. It's part of life. Its what one must do to make it through the journey. Giving up isn't an option and so one must keep going. So suck it up my fibro friends and don't give up. This too shall pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment