Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The problem with extreme fitness is...

When I was in college I took the class, rock climbing and repelling. It was a fun class. It was ran by the ROTC instructors and, while they were pretty laid back, they were sticklers for attendance. It would bring your grade down dramatically if you missed. As a typical college Freshman I blew off class one day and didn't realize how much it would drop my grade. They were kind though...if you could call it that. If you missed class, you could make up your day by going to "morning drill". Morning drill was BRUTAL. It started off with stretching, then push ups, sit ups, squats, etc. 20-30 of each exercise, 3 times. You would finish off with a cool 5 mile jaunt.

There were several of us who had missed a day or so and so we were all invited to come and check out drill.  If we survived, it didn't matter what our grade was, it would automatically go up to an "A". I handled myself pretty well but when the cool down was the 5 mile run, I was already done. It was brutal. However, I remember seeing the other girls in the group as toned, amazing athletes, and something that I wish my body could look like but never thought I could obtain.  I did finish the horrible drill. However I missed all of my classes the next day due to the muscle pain. I could barely walk. I pretty much swore off any kind of military training after that.

Today started a new chapter though. It began with lunch on Monday (today is Wednesday). My friend and I were talking and she said that she was interested in doing something like Crossfit. I have a friend who joined the military and she does Crossfit all the time. She is this tiny thing and buff as all get out. I would love to just be able to do a pull up. So I went and checked out the local athletic club that does Crossfit classes to see what they are. Lo and behold, its that same brutal workout from my Freshman year of college on steroids. They actually use the program that I did as a WARM UP. Then they move on to the workout. It was very intimidating to hear about. I decided that maybe Crossfit wasn't for me. Yet I was intrigued by the Bootcamp portion.

I began to wonder if I wasn't doing the routine for a grade and was doing it for the body that I have always wanted than maybe I would survive longer than just for a day. My mindset is different this time as well. Its a challenge I want to take on. While perusing my work's wellness website I found an actual Bootcamp workout that you can do at home. I printed it and did it this morning. I can barely walk now and was only able to do one rep of each exercise (instead of 3 like it said to do), but I'm committed. I decided I'm dedicating 3 months to this. So by July 16th I should be ripped, or well on my way. I have the support of my hubby as well.

You might be wondering why a person with Fibromyalgia, who already is dealing with chronic pain, would want to be so brutal to her body. The main answer is that I'm crazy. I feel that since I am finally starting to feel better with all the other stuff that I do that now is the time to try something more extreme. The other answer is that I am desperate to get better. I know that the recommended exercises for Fibro are yoga and water aerobics but I have done those. Yes they are easier on the body and are great, but I feel there is a time in this Fibromite's body where I feel I have come to a place where it is time to push past the usual Fibro routine and try to become "normal" again. If I can get in the best shape of my life, then maybe this CURE will finally stick. I'm willing to try anything to return to a healthy state. I have worked up to this point as well so its time for the next step. For me, that next step is Bootcamp fitness with healthy eating.

The moral of this post is that only you can determine what is right for you. You know your pain levels and know what works. However, there comes a time when you finally start to get well, that you can start pushing yourself. You don't have to play the victim and always be defeated. You can get well and move past the stigma that most Fibromyalgia patient's have assigned to them. I want to be part of the minority that beats this horrible syndrome and help others do the same. Keep working towards wellness. I know it will be totally worth it when I do a chin up for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment