Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The trouble with a test is...

Yesterday I took a holiday. Some might refer to it as a test, but holiday works as well. Either way I took a break from something that I normally do. I just also was curious to see what the results would be from this break. This holiday is what I would like to refer to as "Glutenfest".

Gluten free food, while has helped me tremendously, is lacking in 2 things. One, in most cases, is flavor. The second thing that most of the foods lack is that light and fluffy taste that I have grown accustomed to in my 34 years on this planet. My reminder of this happened yesterday as I was driving through the middle of town. Something caught my eye. It was a person, with a sign, shaking it and trying to get drivers attention with it. It definitely got mine.

"Honk if you love Crazy Bread" was written and shaking and calling to me. Prior to my gluten free life I LOVED crazy bread. I would crave it. I have been known to stop and eat an entire bag of the beautiful, fluffy goodness in one setting. (And I wonder why I can't lose weight.) I was headed to meet my husband somewhere and we were on the phone. He was behind me and I asked him if he passed the sign yet. He replied no and then when he saw it he commented how Little Caesars used to be a go-to meal on Tuesday nights and he was surprisingly craving it.

I'm not sure if it was the sign or the desire to please my husband or just tired of eating ok tasting food, something made me question if gluten really was what was making me feel like crap. So I caved and to make myself feel better I decided to conduct a test. I had a clean house. I had nowhere to be the next day. I just could vedge if it made me feel like crap. The pizza and beloved crazy bread was bought. I went home and ate and savored each delicious bite. It was the best Little Caesars I had ever eaten (if that is possible). And then I waited and waited and waited. We went to my son's ball practice and I could still walk. We came home and I took a hot bath and some precautionary ibuprofren. I found myself extremely tired and my hands hurting a bit but I was tired and my hands were hurting a bit prior to Glutenfest. So what was the deal?

I have a theory actually. One of the books that I have mentioned in other blogs and I highly recommend is written by Ginerva Liptan called "Figuring Out Fibromyalgia". In her book she talks about "delayed food allergies". She did an ELISA test that tells you what foods you are having allergic reactions to. When she did her test it said that she was allergic to chicken. She stopped eating chicken for 6 months and then decided to gradually add it back into her diet. She was fine with no negative reactions. Her conclusion was that she had overly eaten chicken at the time. According to her she was eating chicken 5 to 6 nights a week at the time and her body was just not processing it how it should. She basically detoxed for 6 months and then was able to add it back into her diet with no ill effects. Her diet still includes chicken, however she spaces it out throughout the week. She said if she eats chicken on Monday, she is not allowed to eat chicken again until Thursday.

I feel that this is what my gluten sensitivity is...a delayed food allergy. It's not a Fibromyalgia cure however it is another answer. I was eating pizza or some other gluten filled food 5 to 6 days a week. Today, has been a typical day with no overly exaggerated pain. It feels like a normal pain day so I think that it will not be the end of the world to have a Glutenfest here and there in my life. I will just have to space it out and not do it daily. And I don't feel that the Gluten-free life is something that I should stop doing. I feel that I need to do it because I CAN tell a difference. I just know after being on the diet for the past 2-3 months that I feel so much better and I feel that my body has detoxed quite a bit.

So keep researching and testing and figuring out this awesome mystery that we call Fibromyalgia. Its exciting when we find something that works. Its even more fun when you find out that you can still have your beloved Crazy Bread (or even Krispy Kremes) as a treat every once in a while. Only you can figure out what works for you. I highly recommend figuring out if you might have a delayed food allergy to something that you eat all the time by cutting it out of your diet. Sorry that you have to be the guinea pig in this but if you get an answer it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment