I am finding that the trouble with me is that I go to the doctor long after I should have been in his office asking for some help. I don't like asking for help. My mother raised me to be very independant; self-sufficient you might say. I am glad for that, but it tends to be my downfall when I am sick. So what usually ends up happening is that I wait until I am pathetically in pain (i.e. can't move, hurts to breathe, ridiculously exhausted). By the time that I get that way it takes an additional week to get into the doctor so I suffer, along with my poor husband whom I complain to, until I finally get to see the doctor.
Today was my day to see the great and mighty Dr. Sakr. I'm not sure where he is from but it is definitely not from Arkansas. He is a shorter man, balding, but super nice and actually spends time letting me discuss the things that I have read and gives me feedback. Today's appointment was delightful. For once I actually wrote down my symptoms and my questions about the things that I read and REMEMBERED to bring it with me to the office visit. Dr. Sakr was kind. He asked me about the medicines in the past that had worked well and the medicines that did not. I was able to discuss natural and homeopathic therapies and he gave me his opinion based off of medical studies and research done in those areas. I felt that he developed a plan for me that involves both medicine and natural therapies. Hope has been restored and I feel that I am well on my road to recovery.
So I would assume if I was reading this blog that one would ask, "So what was that therapy?" or "What did he prescribe for you?" I'm glad you asked! (wink) Here is the plan for me:
Cymbalta 60mg 1x a day to help establish a healthy serotonin level in my system (this is definitely needed since I was seriously thinking of having myself committed last week to a mental hospital)
Tramadol 50mg 1x a day for pain (this can be increased up 4 day if needed but I am hoping it will never get that bad)
Cyclobenzaprine 2.5mg (generic for Flexoril, muscle relaxer to help me sleep. this is the drug that he adjusted the dose so that I hopefully will not have that hungover feeling in the morning)
Vitamin D 2000mg 1x a day to help naturally with joint pain
Pool therapy 3x a week for 6 weeks (my therapist Renee developed a plan based off of my pain level. I told her my pain was at a functional 7. She said on days that I am 7 or below that we will work in the pool. On days that I am 7 or above, we will do heat and myofascial release instead and work on the soreness in a healthy manner)
Other things that I am going to start today are 2 supplements that have been recommended by Dr. Rodger Murphree in his book.
5-HTP-legal form of Tryptophan (that stuff in turkey that makes your sleepy after thanksgiving). Its the form of it after it has been metabolized and makes your sleepy. It is a natural occuring substance and sold with the supplements
SAMe-another natually occuring supplement found in the body, helps with joint pain and depression
Something that I am toying with doing is an elimination diet. I plan to read up more about this before I do it and get the facts about it. I have an appointment to talk with the dietition at my work next Tuesday and to see how to do it effectively and safely. Basically an elimination diet is that you "eliminate" pretty much everything from your diet except fruits, veggies, and lean meats. You do the diet for 3 weeks and then add back in a food like soy or dairy for 4 days. If your symptoms come back, you are sensitive to that food and know to eliminate it forever. Repeat the process again with the next food. I have been putting this off because I am pretty sure that one of my sensitive foods is sugar related and that kind of makes me sad to think about. But, I'm to the point that if it will make me feel better then I am willing to try it.
I love that I have answers now. I love that I have hope now. Best of all, I feel like there is a chance to go back to being pain free and that is priceless!
No comments:
Post a Comment