Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The trouble with The Daniel Fast is...

I started the Daniel Fast yesterday. What is the Daniel Fast you might ask? Well I will tell you. It is taken from the Book of Daniel in the Bible. There are several references in the book where Daniel asks to do a diet different from the norm that consists of eating fruits, veggies, nuts, and beans. At least that is the research that I have found says he ate. My former youth pastors do this fast at the beginning of every year with their church to start their year off right and to get their mind focused on God and goals and all that fun stuff. I am doing it for similar reasons. The main one is to gain some self control in my life.

Every diet that I have ever been on was stopped due to phrases like, "Hey, there is pizza in the break room!" or "I made these cookies for you!" or the killer of all diets for me, "Want to have some chips and salsa?" They are all downfalls for me. This diet takes out almost everything that I love and detoxes you. No sugar. No caffeine. No yummy goodness of processed foods. None of that is allowed. But you do get to eat and eat as much as you could possibly want. Although when you don't really enjoy the foods, you find yourself eating less. Nice move, Daniel Fast.

Yesterday started off like most diets...full of optimism and picturing myself 15lbs lighter due to finally succeeding in a diet. It ended with my head in a toilet and praying to God to help me through it. I suppose the word fast does have a spiritual aspect to it but I had no idea that it would be this route. I'm not exactly sure what sent me over the edge. Was it the lack of caffeine and sugar that caused the horrific headache? We are talking migraine level! Was it the second tablespoon of peanut butter from the health food store that had been in my pantry for probably a little too long? Was it the attempt at making beans that should have simmered a little longer so that they weren't crunchy? Yeah, it could have been any of those. All I know is that something triggered the bulimic response and it didn't really matter what I ate, it didn't stay down.

Today has gone better. I decided to nurse the headache with ibuprofen first thing. I had food that I knew how to cook all day and that has helped more than anything. I have started to notice things though. My mental clarity was better. I had more energy today and was able to do a few chore better than I normally do. Prior to doing this fast I was finding the need to take an afternoon nap, even with the caffeine and the energy drinks. I was tired this afternoon still but I felt like I could keep going if I needed to. I feel like it can only get better from here. Detox is good. Having energy is better. Getting my life back is priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment