One of the things with dieting is that you are restricting what you are eating, or eating only certain "healthy" foods in an effort to change something about your body, whether it be a weight issue or a health issue. While that describes the gluten free lifestyle quite well, it does not mean that weight loss will happen naturally. Well, I, being the naive person on the matter, figured that just by eating gluten free that I would lose a ton of weight. Instead I was able to maintain my current weight and then add a couple more pounds to it. Very frustrating! Foods that used to be my go to diet foods are off limits due to the wheat content. While I know that fruits and veggies are gluten free, I was not made to be a vegetarian. I like my pizza and I like my Wendy's (which is one of the few fast food places that is gluten friendly with its menu).
The health benefits of going gluten free have been amazing for my Fibromyalgia pain and suffering. I don't wake up near as stiff nor does it take me a good hour to feel like a human again. I wake up in a great mood. The mental clarity is coming back as well that used to be covered by the infamous "Fibro-fog". I have no regrets trying this way of eating and, although it is hard at times and takes more planning, the reduction of Fibro symptoms is so worth it. Weight loss, unfortunately, is not a natural side effect.
So, this blog post is for the Fibromyalgia dieter who is going gluten free. Count your calories and exercise what you can. Don't cheat on your gluten free diet, no matter how much you might want that convenience food! Believe me! It isn't worth it and it will set you back in your health! Know that it can be hard but the ultimate result is worth it. Hang in there and keep going. If you do cheat and end up with the horrid Fibromyalgia symptoms back with a vengeance, take your day or two and heal, learn the lesson, and then get back on the horse and keep trucking on. Your health is worth every sacrifice and the end result will be so worth it. You are worth it! Stay healthy Fibromites!
No comments:
Post a Comment