Thursday, August 15, 2013

The trouble with skin is...

Well, after three years I finally did my checkup with my dermatologist. Being fair skinned and covered in weird freckle-moles, I should actually go see him once a year but I have put it off. I went most recently off of my sister-in-law's suggestion. She is a hairdresser and I was complaining about itchy scalp just around my hairline. I wondered if she would suggest a good shampoo to use. She told me that she had a client who has the same thing and said that it is a form of dermatitis.

I ventured off to the dermatologist's office for my 7:30am appt. It was the typical exam where I told him my issues, he checked my skin over, and then he discovered other issues that we dealt with. He informed me that I was one big ball of skin issues. Hahaha! So, along with my scalp issue, a new acne issue around my mouth, and some dry skin around my nose, I now have 6 different topical medications that I use on my face. I will say this though, I have only been doing the regimen for 2 days and my skin is amazing already.

What I was surprised about is that he said that all my skin issues were due to a "hyped up immune system." I did not feel the need to share that I have fibromyalgia and that I live in a constant state of having a hyped up immune system, but it explained why this condition comes and goes. It made me aware that no body part, including my skin, is immune from fibro. It is all fair game. I'm glad to know that there is an easy fix though and that I wish that I would have known sooner that skin issues can be fibro related.

If you are reading this and have fibro and skin issues, I urge you to go see a dermatologist. I don't feel that every issue has to be fibro related but since the doc said specifically to me that the cause of my issues were due to an over-active immune system, which is one of the key causes of fibromyalgia, that people should get it checked out. Skin is something that should be checked out anyway if you never have, but some minor annoyances that I had with my skin are almost completely gone now and could have been taken care of MONTHS ago had I just realized that was something to check out. I will warn that a lot of these medicines are really expensive and if you do not have insurance, you will be paying a ton of money. Otherwise, if you do have insurance, it is worth every penny to get checked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment